Wednesday, May 7, 2014

E. T. (1982), TOOTSIE (1982)

What were the top five box office movies for each year of the 80's? Which ones were my favorites? Which were my least favorites? I'm not sure...I'll have to think about it. And without any further ado...

80's Top Box Office Month: 1982

And the top 5 box office movies for 1982 were...

1. E. T.
2. Tootsie
3. An Officer and a Gentleman
4. Rocky III
5. Porky's

Least favorite of the Top 5: 3-way tie between An Officer and a Gentleman, Rocky III and Porky's. I'm completely copping out on this one. The #3 through #5 movies of this year have positives and negatives.

Anyway, it's a three way tie for the bottom (or runner-up depending on your outlook)

Rocky III has more of the standard good Rocky fight scenes, the emergence of Mr. T as Clubber Lang and the interesting twist of Rocky and Apollo Creed becoming allies. It's okay, but not nearly as good as the first one. On the other hand, it's not nearly as bad as Rocky IV.

Rocky III
An Officer and a Gentleman has a winning romantic combination in Richard Gere and Debra Winger, a nice theme song and a memorable ending. It's also pretty emotionally manipulative and fairly predictable.
An Officer and a Gentleman

Porky's is a movie that I'm sure I liked better when I was a teenager than I would like now. It is pretty juvenile and relies heavily on juvenile humor of giving its characters names in accordance with their manhood (like Meat and Pee Wee.)  Hee Hee. It's a little funny at that.

Porky's

Favorite of the top 5: (tie) Tootsie and E. T. I figured since I copped out on the least favorite, I'd cop out on the favorites too. But how can you choose between Dustin Hoffman in drag in one of the best comedies of the 80's and the icon alien adventure E. T.? 

Well, I can't, though the Academy bypassed both for Gandhi that year, but that's another story.

Note to self: Be more decisive in the future about what you like and don't like.


Tootsie

E. T. The Extra-Terrestria

2 comments:

  1. June of 1982 saw the release of E.T., Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Blade Runner, The Thing, and Poltergeist.

    That, sir, is a damn fine month.

    ReplyDelete