Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BRIDESMAIDS (2011)


'Wondering how am I ever going to get through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list if they keep updating it with new entries' month.

(Post 10 of 10)

Bridesmaids

When I saw the 1001 updated list, I admit the one movie listed that made me roll my eyes was Bridesmaids. I knew the movie was popular, but I wasn’t enthused about watching it. I kept seeing that DVD cover of the Bridesmaids striking a militant pose that made me think of something like 27 Dresses or Sex and the City. Oh, boy.

I was also thinking of the article that Christopher Hitchens wrote in Vanity Fair called “Why Women Aren’t Funny.” The main point of which is we, the male, have to be more funny to attract a mate.

That being said, I admit Bridesmaids is funny.

There must be some explanation. Let's see.

Maybe it's funny because it was written by men, right?

No, the screenwriting credit is from star Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo.

It comes from Judd Apatow comedy factory and it probably isn’t as funny as the male point of view film, Knocked Up, right?

Honestly, I thought it was much funnier that Knocked Up.

I’m sure that the women in the supporting cast aren’t all that funny, right?

Well, actually Melissa McCarthy gives one of the funniest supporting performances in recent memory.

Well, for my next objection, I got…uh, I got nothing else. Maybe I need to re-read that Hitchens article.

No comments:

Post a Comment