Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DANCE, GIRL, DANCE (1940)



Musicals month (2 of 11)

Dance, Girl, Dance (1940)

I was not at all familiar with this RKO backstage musical and having seen it, am a bit surprised with its inclusion in the 1001 movie book. It has been praised for having some early feminist virtues and has an interesting contrast of the classical dance style versus burlesque, but the main reason to see this is Lucille Ball.

I say this as someone who is not much of a fan of Lucy's TV shows (I find her too loud, but not in a funny Ralph Cramden way). But I give her her due here. She's sassy, sexy, sings and dances well and basically steals the picture. Maybe I'll give I Love Lucy another go.

Maureen O'Sullivan vs. Maureen O'Hara-Ok, I always get these two Irish beauties mixed up.
Just so I'll remember-Maureen O' Hara-Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dance, Girl, Dance, Miracle on 34th Street, The Parent Trap.
Maureen O'Sullivan-Tarzan movies, Bonzo Goes to College, A Day at the Races, Mia Farrow's mother, Hannah and Her Sisters. I think I got it now.

The ever present Ralph Bellamy: If you watch Hollywood movies from different eras, chances are good that you will see Ralph Bellamy pop up from time to time. He seemed like a second rung leading man in the thirties and fourties (like in Dance, Girl, Dance)But he really had a long movie career, ranging in roles from the doctor in Rosemary's Baby in the 60's, the prosecutor of God in Oh, God in the 70's all the way up to a businessman in Pretty Woman in 1990. Of course, my generation chiefly remembers him for being one of the wicked Duke brothers in Trading Places.

No comments:

Post a Comment