Friday, August 24, 2012

VIVRE SA VIE (1962, FRANCE), MASCULIN FEMININ (1966, FRANCE)

Le bloc en cinq tableaux

Tableux cinq: Confronting one’s self about Godard

The 1001 blogger has decided to watch as many films as he can from New Wave French director Jean Luc-Godard. This is his third therapy session since he has begun watching these films. He notices his latest doctor has his chair turned away from him as he enters the office..

1001 blogger: Hello doctor. I've had a couple of rough sessions here.I hope this will go better. I don't think I've seen you before.

(The doctor spins around and the blogger gasps as he notices that the doctor is...himself.)


Doctor: Are you sure? Don't you own a mirror? Sit down in my chair. And I will sit in the patient's chair. Then you will know what its like to stand in someone else's shoes. Or sit in someone else's shoes anyway. Oh, nevermind. Since I am you. I don't think that will really be necessary.

1001 blogger: (Holding head) I'm really confused now. I was feeling bad all week about striking out with Dr. Baxter.

Doctor: Oh, the Bardot look alike. Boy, those chances don't come around often. You must feel awful.

1001 blogger: Ah, never mind. Just tell me what I should do now. You know me better than anybody.

Doctor: I think you should read The Age of Reason by Jean Paul-Sartre.

1001 blogger: I have read it. I didn't really care for it.

Doctor: That's OK. Not everyone understands it.

1001 blogger: I didn't say I didn't understand it. I said I didn't like it.

Doctor: I see we're at an impasse, number six.

1001 blogger:Don't call me that. And don't ask me to read any Moliere either.

Doctor:Come on you like to be called number six. You know I know you better than anyone. Stand up and give the prisoner speech.

1001 blogger:Well Ok, but what has this to do with Godard?

Doctor: That's the point. By having nothing to do with Godard, it has everything to do with Godard. You get it?

1001 blogger: (Nodding as he stands, clears his throat and points at the doctor). I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!

Doctor:(Applauding)Bravo. Bravo. I don't think you'll need me anymore. (The doctor disappears)

(Finally feeling a sense of relief, the blogger goes up to the office wall mirror and watches himself trace his lips with his thumb. He departs)

FIN


No comments:

Post a Comment