Saturday, June 16, 2012

CHICAGO (2003)

Chicago/Prohibition week (6 of 7)


Day 6 Chicago (2003)

One of the many films where I think the William Goldman adage of “Nobody knows anything” comes into play. Can you imagine the pitch for this film? “Okay, it’s a musical, I know musicals aren’t that popular now, but hang with me. It’s Chicago. It's been around for decades, you know. The Bob Fosse musical! I know Fosse’s dead, and he could never get this made into a film, but I’ve got another director. He’s never done any musicals, but I think he can handle it. And for the leads? I got three stars. Now they aren’t know for musicals, but I’m sure they’ll be great. Have you ever seen Richard Gere dance? And hey, we got a big solo number form John C. Reilly! This is going to be a hit, you know. Make well over $100 million domestic and I truly think it’s going to win an Oscar for Best Picture. I know they don’t give musicals Oscars anymore, but I’ll think they’ll make an exception in this case. So what do you think?”

"This is Chicago, kid. You can’t beat fresh blood on the walls"

No comments:

Post a Comment